PSA: Upcoming changes to the creation of Necko channels

Ehsan Akhgari ehsan.akhgari at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 17:24:11 UTC 2015

On 2015-04-03 9:09 AM, Tanstaafl wrote:
> On 4/2/2015 10:27 PM, Ehsan Akhgari <ehsan.akhgari at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Next week, I'm planning to land the patches to bug 1149853 which enables
>> Gecko to track which RequestContext [1] a network fetch is being
>> performed for.
>
> Hi Ehsan,
>
> I perused the referenced bug (and bugs it referenced), but am still at a
> loss...
>
> Can you elaborate just a tiny bit about the benefit this will provide
> (both to Firefox and Thunderbird)?

The benefit this provides to Firefox is making it possible for the
service worker which intercepts a fetch to see what context the Request
is coming from.  Please consult the following specs for the terminology
I'm using here if you're not familiar with it:
<https://fetch.spec.whatwg.org/>
<http://slightlyoff.github.io/ServiceWorker/spec/service_worker/index.html>

I don't think this work benefits Thunderbird, but it changes the way
that Necko channels are created which will probably break Thunderbird
unless the call sites in comm-central are fixed.  The design is still in
flux though, please watch the bug or this thread for further development.