Avocet branding - What do you think?

Matt Harris unicorn.consulting at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 02:01:56 UTC 2015

On 29/03/2015 10:14 AM, R Kent James wrote:
> I'm getting a bit of pushback to my previously announced plans to use
> Avocet
> <http://monacoeye.com/birds/index_files/recurvirostra_avosetta_pied_avocet_08.jpg>
> and Bunting
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Painted_Bunting_by_Dan_Pancamo.jpg>
> as branding for Thunderbird releases 38 and 45. I'm curious - do I
> have any support for this, or do you think it's a bad idea? I would
> appreciate feedback, just reply with your attitude on a scale of 1-5
> with 1 being "I hate it" and 5 being "I love it" (this is for the
> branding names, not for the graphics below).
I am all for it.  Basically I think a named versions resonate with
people in a way numbers do not.   It also provides a method to move the
mainstream away from the  truly disjointed numeric versioning system.
Although,  from a support perspective Avocet release 1 and Avocet
release2  ie 38.1 and 38.2 will need to be obvious.  People are used to
Service pack updates,  so they will not baulk at have release number I
do not think.  Really the only place the true version numbering should
appear is in the Help| about information which includes Geko versions

Matt