Wiki page for Thunderbird 2014 Fundraising Appeal

Kent James kent at caspia.com
Fri Sep 19 18:05:59 UTC 2014

On 9/19/2014 9:44 AM, Alessandro Vesely wrote:
>> >Tanstaafl had some great comments on this at
>> >https://wiki.mozilla.org/Talk:Thunderbird/FundingAppeal2014

>> >[...] There is no way that we could reasonably raise enough money
>> >to reward all of those people at market rates for their
>> >contributions, and it would fundamentally change the nature of
>> >Thunderbird if we tried.
> Agreed, but how about keeping some records based on declarations by
> those who ask for donations?  Some honest statements such that donors
> who want to minimize the risk of seeing their most needed add-ons
> vanish away can learn which ones are the most urgent.  Would that ever
> work?
We currently get much better information about usage of addons than we
do for other Thunderbird features. I doubt if donors are likely to have
any significantly different distribution of addon usage than majority
users, so I don't see that getting additional information on addons from
donors would be useful for our purposes.

If we do a survey of donors about their priorities, perhaps we could add
a priority choice like "ensure that important addons continue to be
maintained and available". Would that help?

:rkent