TB Summit update

Mike Conley mconley at mozilla.com
Thu Sep 18 17:38:00 UTC 2014

Hey all,

I've received quite a few IRC pings and emails over the last few days
regarding the summit, and what's going on. I realize that I, as the
point of contact with the travel agency, haven't been very good at being
transparent about what's going on. Let me fix that right now.

The last week or so has been all about finalizing the attendee list, and
making sure that we stay under budget. We have a fixed budget to work
from, and exceeding it is just not a thing that can happen (unless we
start passing around the bucket). I've had to do some flight-time
negotiations with a few attendees, and other little shuffles here and
there, but I think we're under the cap.

So, \o/!

That all happened early this week. What's been happening in the meantime
is trying to hook up the Thunderbird money (which we've been authorized
to spend) to the travel agency. This is a harder challenge than it
sounds like because we're a case that no payment structure at Mozilla
was readily prepared to deal with. So we had to invent a few things, get
some important people to do stuff, sign things, etc.

However, that seems to finally be flowing in the right direction. We now
have the structure in place to pay the travel agency.

The site to book travel through the agency will be up very, very soon
(I've seen a preview of it) - and I'll have itineraries out for people
who need to get their visa's requested.

So, I apologize for the radio silence during all of this. It's been
hectic, and there have been a few unexpected roadblocks that we've had
to blast through. Typical Thunderbird stuff.

So hold tight - I'll have more to say about this soon, once the travel
agent gets back to us.

-Mike