Wiki page for Thunderbird 2014 Fundraising Appeal

R Kent James kent at caspia.com
Thu Sep 11 20:45:48 UTC 2014

I've collected some random thoughts on the proposed direct appeal to
users on a wiki page:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird/FundingAppeal2014

This includes recent thoughts from myself and Mike Conley, as well as
some quotes from individuals from previous discussions that we have had
along these lines. We've had a lot of good input from previous
discussions that we don't want to neglect! Feel free to comment on that
page, or make your own suggestions. We have a lot of work to do to get
our story clear.

So far, there has been a lot of support for the overall concept of
trying to approach our user base directly to raise income for
Thunderbird development and operations, and no significant opposition
that I am aware of. There is still a long road to get all of the systems
and approvals in place before this will actually happen. We need a lot
of details clarified within the Thunderbird community before it makes
sense to try to get any formal approvals.

Because an appeal video is so critical to this sort of thing, and timing
is tight to take the opportunity of the Summit to make this video, we
will almost certainly proceed with this video even without formal
approval for the actual appeal. There are some private donors who have
expressed a willingness to fund this video, with an understanding of the
risks involved.

--

	R. Kent James
Personal: kent at caspia.com