Thunderbird Reorganization: Summary Plan

Josiah Bruner josiah at programmer.net
Thu Sep 11 14:03:25 UTC 2014

Great stuff overall, and I really appreciate all your hard work to get
this stuff rolling Kent!

On 9/9/14 1:25 PM, Kent James wrote:
> While Thunderbird remains a strong product with a growing user base,
> it's become apparent that we need to rework some basic ways that we
> operate if we are to successfully meet our user's expectations in the
> future. Here I present in brief summary the key features of a plan
> that I believe are necessary to move us forward. Let's discuss this
> and see if we can reach a consensus so that we can begin the process
> of implementing any needed changes in conjunction with our upcoming
> Thunderbird Summit.
>
> Thunderbird Reorganization: Summary Plan
>
> 1) Thunderbird to remain an independent project under the Mozilla
> umbrella, but with a large degree of autonomy. Thunderbird to be
> subject to the Mozilla Manifesto and brand, but may depart from the
> current Mozilla Mission of promoting the web as a platform.
"Promoting the web as a platform." This was mentioned quite a bit at the
2013 Summit, but I'm curious as to its real place in the organization.
Is this really the new "Mozilla Mission"? A primary goal? A goal? A plan
that the corporation has (as opposed to the foundation)? I would be
interested in finding the information on that, maybe someone around here
already has it.

Regardless, I agree Thunderbird won't probably push for that idea, at
least not within our own product. I'm just not sure we're necessarily
"depart[ing] from the current Mozilla Mission", just a single goal.

> 2) Overall authority for the Thunderbird project to be held by a group
> of people representing various stakeholders, including representation
> from both the community and Mozilla staff, as well as representation
> from developers, support, marketing, qc, and users. The name and
> structure of this group are yet to be determined, but initially call
> it by the neutral name of the "Oversight Group" or OG.
Sounds good to me.

> 3) The OG has primary responsibility to manage Thunderbird
> expenditures, staffing, releases, income sources, code, support,
> quality control, marketing, user and public communications, or any
> other issues that may arise associated with the Thunderbird email
> client. Mozilla to retain veto rights over OG decisions, but need not
> approve each decision through existing departmental channels except
> for certain exceptions that may be specified by Mozilla. Reasonably
> the OG would delegate much of that authority to module owners, or use
> existing Mozilla infrastructure.
>
> 4)  The existing volunteers and staff are struggling to maintain a
> viable Thunderbird, let alone move forward, within the complex,
> rapidly changing Mozilla environment in which Thunderbird exists. A
> dedicated staff of approximately three people is needed to meet the
> minimum reasonable expectations of our users as a major product under
> the Mozilla brand.
Three is definitely ideal, yes. Were you thinking that these three would
be existing TB developers or brand new employees? 2 already involved and
experienced TB developers is definitely better than 3-4 new ones.

> 5) Thunderbird to raise income through a direct appeal for donations
> to our existing base of approximately ten million daily users, using
> in-product means such as the start page. A reasonable target for
> annual income is $500,000 per year.
I'm a fan of this idea for sure, but I have a feeling this will be one
of the harder things to get agreement on (and implement).

*Josiah Bruner* [:JosiahOne]
Front end & UX Developer.
Mozilla Thunderbird.
josiah at programmer.net