Thunderbird Reorganization Plan - the motivation

Kent James kent at caspia.com
Wed Sep 10 17:25:17 UTC 2014

On 9/9/2014 11:55 PM, Benjamin Kerensa wrote:
> Should we ask the Module Owner and Peers to weigh in? Technically they
> steer some of these decisions while they remain in those roles
> regardless of our consensus.
Of course they should weigh in, and I am hoping that will all be
co-sponsors of this proposal. But the existing module structure is very
code focused, and most of this proposal deals with issues outside of
that. Yes in theory the module system can be used for non-code
functions, but the current structures are very much biased against
contributors who are not core developers.

I would hope that the current Mozilla Thunderbird staff, including some
who have been asked to do their former MoMo jobs with 5% of their time,
would be the first to recognize that they have been given an impossible
job to do with the limited resources available, so a fresh approach is
needed for their own sanity.

:rkent