Thunderbird Reorganization: Summary Plan

Kent James kent at caspia.com
Tue Sep 9 17:25:27 UTC 2014

While Thunderbird remains a strong product with a growing user base,
it's become apparent that we need to rework some basic ways that we
operate if we are to successfully meet our user's expectations in the
future. Here I present in brief summary the key features of a plan that
I believe are necessary to move us forward. Let's discuss this and see
if we can reach a consensus so that we can begin the process of
implementing any needed changes in conjunction with our upcoming
Thunderbird Summit.

Thunderbird Reorganization: Summary Plan

1) Thunderbird to remain an independent project under the Mozilla
umbrella, but with a large degree of autonomy. Thunderbird to be subject
to the Mozilla Manifesto and brand, but may depart from the current
Mozilla Mission of promoting the web as a platform.

2) Overall authority for the Thunderbird project to be held by a group
of people representing various stakeholders, including representation
from both the community and Mozilla staff, as well as representation
from developers, support, marketing, qc, and users. The name and
structure of this group are yet to be determined, but initially call it
by the neutral name of the "Oversight Group" or OG.

3) The OG has primary responsibility to manage Thunderbird expenditures,
staffing, releases, income sources, code, support, quality control,
marketing, user and public communications, or any other issues that may
arise associated with the Thunderbird email client. Mozilla to retain
veto rights over OG decisions, but need not approve each decision
through existing departmental channels except for certain exceptions
that may be specified by Mozilla. Reasonably the OG would delegate much
of that authority to module owners, or use existing Mozilla infrastructure.

4)  The existing volunteers and staff are struggling to maintain a
viable Thunderbird, let alone move forward, within the complex, rapidly
changing Mozilla environment in which Thunderbird exists. A dedicated
staff of approximately three people is needed to meet the minimum
reasonable expectations of our users as a major product under the
Mozilla brand.

5) Thunderbird to raise income through a direct appeal for donations to
our existing base of approximately ten million daily users, using
in-product means such as the start page. A reasonable target for annual
income is $500,000 per year.