News about summit funding

Kent James kent at caspia.com
Thu Sep 4 20:34:04 UTC 2014


On 9/4/2014 8:29 AM, Mike Conley wrote:
> Hey tb-planning,
>
> For the past few weeks, we've been in a "go / no-go" holding pattern for
> the proposed summit, because our funding wasn't assured.
>
> Today, mhoye received e-mail from Mitchell saying that we've got the OK
> to spend the funds allocated to Thunderbird on our gathering.
>
> That sounds like enough of a "go" to me - rkent, do you concur?
Sorry to be slow to respond to this, I've been busy doing debugging all 
morning that requires I run Thunderbird on a test profile. Thanks Mike 
for working on this, and yes this is good news!

So do you have the authority to spend that money now? If not, does 
anybody? How much money is it? Are there restrictions? Like, how do I 
answer Roland's question "Kent: please let me know as soon as you can if 
you can fund my travel out of the Thunderbird funds" Who has the 
authority to answer that? I certainly don't.

I was hoping for more clarity at this point. At the rate things have 
been progressing, it could easily be weeks before we get that clarity - 
and we are less than 6 weeks away from the proposed summit.

My sense is that there are just too many unknowns at this point to move 
forward in time for October. It is already way, way late to be trying to 
get travel and such organized. I really think we should consider 
declaring victory, then get the accounting and governance organized so 
that we can make decisions concerning how we allocate the money, and 
reschedule for some time in the winter or spring so that we have proper 
time to promote and plan this.

Let's hear what other people say, and make a decision on Monday. Mike, 
can you get more clarity on this?

October or later folks?

:rkent



More information about the tb-planning mailing list