Summit Part 2: Funding -- How get attention for a "donation" - A deeper analysis on donations UI

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Sun Oct 26 13:57:38 UTC 2014

On 10/25/2014 4:00 AM, Axel Grude <axel.grude at gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree that there is no point in asking if people don't have it or
> don't want to. But you have to ask everybody to catch the ones that are
> inclined, and you also have to give them an option / reminder once in a
> while. the hard thing is registering whether they really paid and then
> ask less (e.g. once a year).

I agree, but this is also why I am strongly in favor of something along
the lines of a subscription based model, where the user actually
registers, and even has the option of saving their CC info for recurring
donations. Then there is no need to 'bug' them, beyond a
reminder/warning when their CC is about to get dinged for their
$interval subscription donation.

I for one would be more than willing to subscribe to a $5 or $10/mo kind
of subscription. Other options could be quarterly, or annual, and this
would give Thunderbird a better chance of more immediate and ongoing
cash-flow in the shorter, as well as longer term.

Of course there should also be an option for just a one-off donation,
where no CC info is saved, but allow the one donating to check a box
(unchecked by default) for a 'reminder' to be sent to them on a certain
time schedule (maybe only offer quarterly or annual for this). Again,
nothing forced or 'in your face'.

And last, to repeat what I wrote earlier (which no one has commented on
yet), I think it would be *very* beneficial to Mozilla if subscribers
had their own little 'Marketing Portal' (private link) that they could
share with anyone they wanted for their own little marketing efforts,
aimed at family, friends, and that they could post about via blogs,
etc... they could write up the page content (subject to approval by
someone at Mozilla of course).

We could each even have little micro blogs where we can write about our
own personal experiences and use cases for Thunderbird.

I know I'd post quite a bit, because I use a *lot* of extensions and
heavily customize the UI (well, not nearly as much as I do in Firefox).

Even better would be some kind of (small) reward for a certain number of
donations/subscribers they may be responsible for... maybe a free annual
subscription, or even just an 'Honorable Mention' on a Thunderbird
Donator's hall of fame page or something (also optional for those who
may prefer to remain anonymous)...