Summit Part 2: Funding -- How get attention for a "donation"

Chris Ilias tb-planning at ilias.ca
Sat Oct 25 01:27:20 UTC 2014

On 2014-10-24 1:36 AM, Magnus Melin wrote:
> On 24.10.2014 00:34, Axel Grude wrote:
>>> A menuitem in the Help submenu could work, in addition to the Start
>>> page.
>> I would also *propose a TOP LEVEL menu item* , for those who use the
>> full menu, and or label in the caption area for those who don't.
>
> That's WAY too distracting IMO. I think the summit discussions concluded
> pretty unanimously any permanently visible nag in the UI is not desired.
>
> I do think we could have the submenu item under Help.

I don't think a top-level menu item is annoying at all, and I thought
the wikipedia banners were very annoying [1]. For me, it has more to do
with whether or not the donation link gets in the way of content.
Putting it in a different colour and animating it does feel like I'm
being nagged. Even if it was for something other than donations, I would
still consider it to be very bad UI.

But if it's just another top-level menu like the others, it doesn't feel
like a nag to me. It feels like more options.

[1]<https://twitter.com/limi/status/138001215198990337> :)