Regressions in TB 31.x and 33

Kent James kent at caspia.com
Fri Oct 24 17:43:06 UTC 2014

On 10/24/2014 10:21 AM, Joshua Cranmer wrote:
> Approvals absolutely need to be grantable only to a select few people
> (think module owners level of exclusivity). I'm minded to keep
> nominations rather closed as well—you otherwise get lots of people
> hankering for their pet features, which is usually a waste of
> everybody's time.
I fully agree with this at one level, that for Thunderbird 38 we need a
short-list of goals which are identified by "select few people". We
already have ambitious goals that are going to be challenging. I just
want to make sure that we maintain some visibility of those goals, and
encourage each other to word toward achieving them. So I'll accept
whatever method we agree works, but it should be BMO searchable.

At another level, somehow we need to figure out acceptable paths for
people to do "hankering for their pet features", which from their
perspective is the really major annoyance that saps their productivity.
We seem to be very good at discouraging people from advocating for their
needs, but not so good at providing legitimate forums to do so. But that
is a long-term goal, in the short run we just need to agree on goals,
realizing that TB 38 is approaching soon, and try to get them done.

:rkent