Summit Part 2: Funding -- How get attention for a "donation"

Blake Winton bwinton at mozilla.com
Fri Oct 24 12:33:27 UTC 2014

On Oct 24, 2014, at 2:44 AM, Axel Grude (Axel) <axel.grude at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 24/10/2014 00:05, Jim wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 4:34 PM, Axel Grude <axel.grude at gmail.com <mailto:axel.grude at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>> A menuitem in the Help submenu could work, in addition to the Start page.
>> I would also propose a TOP LEVEL menu item , for those who use the full menu, and or label in the caption area for those who don't.
>> This sounds like a great way to get me to stop using Thunderbird entirely, to say nothing of contributing to the codebase. Don't pollute primary UI with pleas for money; it's obnoxious enough when Wikipedia does it, but at least they only do it during designated times of the year, and you can easily hide it.
> You can use gmail instead; don't forget to install Adblock.

Suggesting that our users (and one of our developers!) use gmail instead doesn’t seem like a great way to drive up Thunderbird usage, Axel…

> Still, I would like an official poll on this, I would believe most of the users wouldn't care either way as it doesn't take away any real estate, and I haven't heard people complain about the "Go" menu item although probably very few use it.

[snipped a bunch of out-of-place personal attacks…]

> If you gave the hardliner "free as in beer" users an option to configure it away (without userChrome or about:config <about:config> hacks) in order to retain the probably very low number of users that cared, would you then agree?

I just want to remind everyone that reasonable people can have differing opinions on how we should raise money, and how pushy we should get while trying to do so.  Please keep it civil and on-topic, and remember that we’re all on the same side here, if only so that I don’t have to write out annoyingly long messages explaining why I’ve rejected your posts.  ;)

Thanks,
Blake.