Summit Part 2: Funding -- How get attention for a "donation"

Axel Grude (Axel) axel.grude at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 06:44:30 UTC 2014

*From: *Jim <squibblyflabbetydoo at gmail.com>
*Sent: *Thu, 23 Oct 2014 18:05:03 -0500
*To: *Axel <axel.grude at gmail.com>
*Subject: *Re: Summit Part 2: Funding -- How get attention for a "donation"
On 24/10/2014 00:05, Jim wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 4:34 PM, Axel Grude <axel.grude at gmail.com
> <mailto:axel.grude at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Genius!
>
>>     A menuitem in the Help submenu could work, in addition to the Start page.
>     I would also *propose a TOP LEVEL menu item* , for those who use the full menu,
>     and or label in the caption area for those who don't.
>

> This sounds like a great way to get me to stop using Thunderbird entirely, to say
> nothing of contributing to the codebase. Don't pollute primary UI with pleas for
> money; it's obnoxious enough when Wikipedia does it, but at least they only do it
> during designated times of the year, and you can easily hide it.

You can use gmail instead; don't forget to install Adblock. Still, I would like an
official poll on this, I would believe most of the users wouldn't care either way as
it doesn't take away any real estate, and I haven't heard people complain about the
"Go" menu item although probably very few use it. It is an important function to raise
money for the product and there is no inconvenience or change of workflow attached.
You will only get opposition from people who think all Software must be "free as in beer".

If you find Wikipedia asking for money to fund themselves obnoxious (not 3rd party
advertisements) it sounds to me you prefer a product that is funded by nobody or
people who are interested in your private information. Maybe facebook or google should
foot the bill for all software we use? After all it costs /nothing /to share a bit of
info...

If you gave the hardliner "free as in beer" users an option to configure it away
(without userChrome or about:config hacks) in order to retain the probably very low
number of users that cared, would you then agree?

Ax