Summit Part 3: Lightning

Kent James kent at caspia.com
Thu Oct 23 20:56:38 UTC 2014

We discussed whether we should ship Lightning with Thunderbird, leaving
it as an extension, but disabled by default.

TL;DR: We will move toward incorporating Lightning as a shipped addon in
TB 38.

There are two main drivers for this:

1) Any modern email client is now expected to have integration with
Contacts and Calendar. Users should not have to search and install to
find this.

2) In the past, Lightning had to be matched to a specific version of
Thunderbird. Keeping the two up to date has been a pain point. (Efforts
have been underway to eliminate this restriction, so this may be a
non-issue in the future.)

There is also the issue that we would like to see the Calendar
contributors viewed as first-class members of the Thunderbird community.
To that end, three Calendar contributors were at the Toronto Thunderbird
Summit.

Objections in the past were:

1) Mozilla staff had their hands full just with email, and did not feel
they could take on Calendar as well. (With the de-staffing of
Thunderbird, this is no longer seen as an issue. Thunderbird and
Lightning have similar issues here)

2) There has been a sense (rumor?) that Lightning performance was not
ready to be included with the core product. Nobody at the Summit was
able to confirm this as an issue, so there was no sense that this should
be a blocker.

There are some practical issues surrounding integration, like would we
still allow updates from AMO? Would Thunderbird ship point releases due
to Lightning issues? Lightning has specific financial contributions, how
would that work in Thunderbird?

In the end, all were in favor and nobody opposed attempting shipping
Lightning as an addon in Thunderbird 38. Practical issues will be
resolved through normal review processes.

:rkent