Summit Part 2: Funding

aleth at instantbird.org aleth at instantbird.org
Thu Oct 23 19:52:23 UTC 2014

I'm not sure how useful the comparison to Wikipedia is, if the idea is
to learn from the style of their campaigns. Wikipedia is a website, and
users are used to seeing ads on websites. What's more, if someone is
annoyed by the Wikipedia banner and closes the page, it's still likely
they'll end up on Wikipedia again in the future after searching for
something on the web.

On the other hand, Thunderbird is software users have installed on their
desktop. Such apps don't have ads, and what is perceived as nagware is
at risk of being uninstalled and not used again.

I guess what I'm saying is we should tread carefully and anything that
persistently gets in the way of the user is not a good idea.
Thunderbird's main asset is that its users trust it and mozilla, that's
what hopefully can be leveraged in a campaign.

Isn't the Thunderbird start page actually most similar to the Firefox
start page? I seem to remember a post on planet where someone was
describing how various different versions of the same Firefox start page
campaing were tested against each other to discover what was most
effective (but I can't find the link). So there may already be some
experience and data about what works and what doesn't within mozilla
that one could learn from.

Other donationware includes VLC and GIMP. VLC has a "make a donation"
box on their website, and a menu entry in the app itself. GIMP has a
"donations" link on their site, but I can't see anything in the app.
>From the donations pages, it does not seem either of them is trying to
raise enough money to hire staff though.

On Thu, Oct 23, 2014, at 12:08 PM, Kent James wrote:
> On 10/22/2014 9:42 PM, Benjamin Kerensa wrote:
> > I would have to say $500k seems quite ambitious. Mozilla has only
> > raised $800k last year in donations and $400k in 2011.
> With new data from Florian, I was able to update my scaling of Wikipedia
> results to Thunderbird. Taking total page views per month in Wikipedia,
> and scaling Wikipedia fundraising results to numbers of total page views
> per month of the Thunderbird start page, I get : $508,000 estimate for
> the Thunderbird campaign. Coincidence that it is so close to my $500,000
> goal, but this goes to show that we have a tremendous untapped resource
> in our start page, if we can figure out a classy way to use it.
>
> When I was at the Community Leadership Summit in Portland, I went to a
> meetup of people interested in crowd sourcing. The scale of Thunderbird
> was several orders of magnitude higher than anyone who was there, and
> they were all hoping to raise $50,000-like numbers though crowd
> sourcing. Folks, we have a VERY significant project here. Let's not
> forget that.
>
> Yes the numbers are ambitious, but not unreasonably so. The hard part is
> connecting with people who have the skill to move this forward.
>
> :rkent

                          love email again