Summit Part 2: Funding -- How get attention for a "donation"

Kent James kent at caspia.com
Thu Oct 23 19:32:55 UTC 2014

On 10/23/2014 11:35 AM, neandr at gmx.de wrote:
> For reaching users attention for a donation using Thunderbird itself
> seems to be more then logical. And yes it can be a negative impact
> with the wrong decision.
>
> Thinking about it, there are different ways to get attention:
> -- slash screen
> -- start page
> -- opening a tab after upgrade of TB or with new install
> -- adding a menu item to the Hamburger (the TB Menu placed to the far
> right on the menu bar.
> -- adding a menu item on the menu bar itself (could also only be
> displayed after upgrade/new install)
> -- adding a menu item on each message (to the others on the top right)
> ... think that's overkill
>   (with menu item a tab/splash would be opened)
>
> -- as long as TB hold the statusbar the menu item could be placed
> there, before the online icon
>
> How about pros/cons for those possibilities?
>
> Guenter
We had a lot of discussion about this a couple of years ago, and the
general consensus was that we should restrict ourselves to the start
page. So whatever we do would fit into the existing content startpage,
which is a web page with a standard URL format that is then redirected
depending on locale and version.

I am however proposing that the start page be added to an additional
location to increase its visibility, see bug 1087868

:rkent