Summit Part 2: Funding

Florian Quèze florian at queze.net
Thu Oct 23 19:32:30 UTC 2014

On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 9:08 PM, Kent James <kent at caspia.com> wrote:

> On 10/22/2014 9:42 PM, Benjamin Kerensa wrote:
>
>> I would have to say $500k seems quite ambitious. Mozilla has only raised
>> $800k last year in donations and $400k in 2011.
>>
> With new data from Florian, I was able to update my scaling of Wikipedia
> results to Thunderbird. Taking total page views per month in Wikipedia, and
> scaling Wikipedia fundraising results to numbers of total page views per
> month of the Thunderbird start page, I get : $508,000 estimate for the
> Thunderbird campaign.

It's probably fair to say that people load wikipedia pages to read content
in them, whereas the Thunderbird start page is only displayed (possibly for
only a split second) as a side effect of the user starting Thunderbird, and
is likely to be ignored by a significant portions of our users.

Florian

--
Florian Quèze