Summit Part 2: Funding

Kent James kent at caspia.com
Thu Oct 23 19:08:51 UTC 2014

On 10/22/2014 9:42 PM, Benjamin Kerensa wrote:
> I would have to say $500k seems quite ambitious. Mozilla has only
> raised $800k last year in donations and $400k in 2011.
With new data from Florian, I was able to update my scaling of Wikipedia
results to Thunderbird. Taking total page views per month in Wikipedia,
and scaling Wikipedia fundraising results to numbers of total page views
per month of the Thunderbird start page, I get : $508,000 estimate for
the Thunderbird campaign. Coincidence that it is so close to my $500,000
goal, but this goes to show that we have a tremendous untapped resource
in our start page, if we can figure out a classy way to use it.

When I was at the Community Leadership Summit in Portland, I went to a
meetup of people interested in crowd sourcing. The scale of Thunderbird
was several orders of magnitude higher than anyone who was there, and
they were all hoping to raise $50,000-like numbers though crowd
sourcing. Folks, we have a VERY significant project here. Let's not
forget that.

Yes the numbers are ambitious, but not unreasonably so. The hard part is
connecting with people who have the skill to move this forward.

:rkent