Summit Part 2: Funding

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Thu Oct 23 11:52:37 UTC 2014

On 10/22/2014 1:35 PM, Kent James <kent at caspia.com> wrote:
> The method we are considering involves using the Thunderbird start page
> for a limited period of time in a visible outreach to users asking for
> contributions. That outreach would include no disruptive or distracting
> user interface elements, and there would be a way for organizations to
> opt out through a preference. The closest well-known model for this is
> the annual Wikipedia campaign, which is their primary source of funding.

I have no problem with any of this, as long as there is a simple way for
enterprises to disable this for their users.

I would also be strongly in favor of a subscription based 'Thunderbird
Pro' version, that costs an annual fee ($10? $25? something like that)
to subscribe to, that has some perks for subscribing to it. Perks don't
need to be huge or anything. One thing though - failure to renew  the
subscription should simply result in loss of access to the perks, it
should not impact the users Thunderbird experience otherwise.

One more thing. I'd love to have access to some kind of marketing portal
that we, the users, can subscribe to (maybe one of the perks for the Pro
version?), where we can have our own little landing page that we can
customize to an extent, and point people to with our own, personal
marketing efforts, to try to drive people (family, friends, co-workers,
clients, etc) to become Thunderbird Pro users. Maybe even have a
'reward' thingie so that we can get a 'free' Thunderbird Pro
subscription as long as we have a minimum (3? 5?) number of referrals
who maintain a Thunderbird Pro subscription.

Just some thoughts...

I'm actually starting to get excited about the potential here...