Summit Part 1: Governance

Axel Grude axel.grude at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 12:44:33 UTC 2014

All,

I think this is a great start. Would agree with 3 months seeming short, but since this
is all new I am sure it stabilize at a bigger period.

Unfortunately I couldn't follow the live event because Vidyo just doesn't play well
with my Windows 7 setup here but if you guys need another person to speak on behalf of
the Addons developers (ok you got at least 2 very strong people on the team already) I
am available! I am still 100% committed to making Thunderbird the best mail client out
there (especially since I am having to suffer to *daily outlook crashes *at my bread
job). I must say that the factors *stability and persistance *are actually becoming
bigger "selling points" the longer I am forced to work in a corporate environment.
Microsoft probably doesn't have enough good developers to maintain a proper product
for the desktop (*), so as long as there is a desktop I see a future for Thunderbird.

Also, I would like to see a "monetization" team that help both funding Thunderbird and
helping productivity Addon developers to self fund (not necessarily with money, but a
proper market-place experience or subscription channels would be great) to make this a
better product. We have seen some feedback on people being opposed to monetization in
form of /landing pages/ / /asking for donation/s. IMO these users should have an
option for a yearly "silent" subscription, e.g. 10$/year. i think a free (as in beer)
product should have some way of asking for direct means *to fund itself *(_NO THIRD
PARTY ADVERTISEMENTS_!!!). It has to be clear that Thunderbird is independent and as
such must fund *itself* independently.

(*) all their recent efforts point towards thin client / moving programming logic to
the cloud

regards
   Axel

--