Summit Part 1: Governance

Kent James kent at caspia.com
Tue Oct 21 14:07:48 UTC 2014

On 10/21/2014 5:28 AM, Patrick Cloke wrote:
> Kent did not include it in this email, but the gist of the plan (to my
> understanding) was to have this initial set of people serve 1 year
> terms and then to define longer terms and guidelines in some sort of
> charter. I think we discussed 2 year terms at the Summit with ~half
> the Council up for election each year, but 3 year terms is reasonable
> as well!

Patrick is correct. Time was limited, and we needed to accomplish the
essential business of simply having any governance in place first, with
details to flesh out in a charter. Longer terms are clearly part of the
plan. It will be easier to get people to agree to longer terms once we
have a better idea of the work involved.

Although there may be cases where the selection of the Thunderbird
Council ends up being contentious over some aspect of project direction,
the more normal problem is just motivating people to serve on the
Council, along with encouraging emerging leadership. So we need both
some regular turnover so that emerging leaders can be added, but also
terms that are short enough that people are willing to commit. 2 year
terms, with perhaps a limit of 4 consecutive years, I believe is about
right.

On the term of the Council Chair, that is ultimately a decision of the
Thunderbird Council. We set an initial term of 3 months simply to give
us time to discuss the role of the Chair, not with any expectation that
the Chair would rotate every 3 months. We did agree that the person who
is the Chair needs to be able to use that title publicly within Mozilla
as the person who can speak for the project, but we did not want to see
the Chair promoted publicly as the personality behind Thunderbird.

:rkent