Summit Part 1: Governance

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Tue Oct 21 08:52:33 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I'm very excited to hear about these changes, which I'm sure will be
good for the project.

On 21/10/14 03:57, Kent James wrote:
> The Thunderbird Core Team nominated and elected 7 individuals to the
> Thunderbird Council, with an initial term of 1 year. The Thunderbird
> Council consists of:
>
> Mike Conley
> Joshua Cranmer
> Kent James
> Philipp Kewisch
> Magnus Melin
> Wayne Mery
> Florian Quèze
>
> The Thunderbird Council got together, and agreed that Kent James would
> server as initial Chairperson, with an initial term of 3 months.

These terms and timelines seem rather short to me. While democratic
accountability is important, continuity and the ability to get stuff
done without having to administer elections all the time is also important.

I would encourage the Council and the core team to consider perhaps a
3-year term for Council membership with 2, 2 and 3 positions coming up
for re-election in each of the 3 years (with the initial terms of the
initial members chosen randomly). This sort of scheme seems to have
worked well elsewhere, with a good mix of change and continuity.

Whatever you decide, I look forward to the bright future :-)

Gerv