YouSendIt termination

Kent James kent at caspia.com
Thu Oct 9 17:58:41 UTC 2014

Governance is a key issue for discussion at the Summit, and certainly
"product management" in the broadest sense it what it is all about. The
bigger question here is, do we continue offering providers (file link
and email) preferential access based on their income generation
potential? Or should we rely on direct funding from users, and choose
the filelink providers based on some estimate of their popularity with
users? Or some other basis?

I don't think that we will be able to answer this until we get more
experience about the viability of direct user funding. But currently
Thunderbird volunteers lack the data that they need to make those kinds
of decisions, or even the narrower decision that you are looking for
below. I expect that after the Summit, we will have established a core
group of contributors who we will have authority over all things
Thunderbird, at least as far as the Community is concerned, and we can
negotiate their involvement and responsibility in decisions such as this.

:rkent