Help wanted: more people to help look after the tree

Mark Banner mbanner at mozilla.com
Mon Oct 6 07:50:53 UTC 2014

I'd like us to have more people actively helping to look after the
Thunderbird trees. Currently, Joshua and myself are seen as the de-facto
people to control it, but there's no reason we can't have more.

I'll stop short of saying a "Sheriff
<https://wiki.mozilla.org/Sheriffing>" group as I don't think we need
full-time coverage, but it would certainly be useful to get some more
folks keeping an eye on things on a regular basis.

Before I go into the activities that need doing, let me just say that
having commit privileges are generally useful. If you haven't got them,
but occasionally submit patches for Thunderbird/Mozilla, then we can
easily get privileges
<https://www.mozilla.org/hacking/commit-access-policy/> for you.

The activities that general need doing are:

  * Closing the tree at times of major bustage and re-opening when it
    recovers
  * Ensuring the tree is starred with failures
      o Hence also, new failures either have the offending patches
        backed out (assuming c-c caused failures), or if they are
        intermittent, have bugs filed for them.
      o This may mean investigating new failures/triggering new builds
        or clobbers (which require commit privs)
  * Approving patches landing on semi-busted trees

An optional extension is also helping process the queue of
checkin-needed bugs
<https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?keywords=checkin-needed%2C%20&keywords_type=allwords&list_id=11309667&query_format=advanced&product=MailNews%20Core&product=Thunderbird>.

For reference purposes, I've just written down the list of rules I
generally use when deciding to change the tree state:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Tree_Rules/comm-central#When_does_the_tree_get_closed_or_changed_to_approval_required.3F_.3D

These are open to be adjusted.

If anyone does want to help out, please let me know, or respond here.
Like I say, we can arrange commit access if appropriate, I can also get
you access to "tree status" which is the web application that controls
the tree.

Mark.