Mozilla Reps as a Mozilla example of volunteer governance

Kent James kent at caspia.com
Fri Oct 3 23:29:27 UTC 2014

As we look to a proper governance model for Thunderbird, one model we
could look at is the Mozilla Reps program, which is designed from the
git-go as a volunteer-driven effort.

They recently announced elections to their Council:

https://blog.mozilla.org/mozillareps/2014/10/03/upcoming-elections-october-2014/

Their Council is described here:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/ReMo/Council

The governance structure that I am pushing for with Thunderbird is going
to be a Thunderbird Council of 5-9 people, which are elected by the
Thunderbird Core Team of about 50 active contributors (including
developers, support, addons, QA, etc.) This is very similar to the
Mozilla Reps organization. I expect though that our Council members will
need to be nominated and encouraged to participate by a nominating
committee, while at-large nominations could also be accepted.

This stuff is really important for the future of Thunderbird, I would
encourage all of you attending the Thunderbird Summit to look over the
Mozilla Reps program as an example.

:rkent