Adding Google as an OpenSearch provider

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Thu Nov 20 10:21:31 UTC 2014

On 19/11/14 22:39, Jim Porter wrote:
> If anyone else has insights on this, I'd be happy to hear them. Plenty
> of users have been mildly upset that we don't have Google as an option,
> so I think adding Google would be a nice thing to do.

It's not at all clear to me that Google could legally prevent you adding
them. They could perhaps complain under trademark law if their logo was
used, but one could argue it's denotative use. And of course they could
try taking technical measures to stop you... but I'm not sure why they'd
want to. Searches are searches.

Clearly, our relationship with Google is under scrutiny right now, but
there is no harm in (at the very least) asking the biz dev team if it
would cause problems for them if Thunderbird added Google back.

Gerv