Adding Google as an OpenSearch provider

Jim Porter squibblyflabbetydoo at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 22:39:54 UTC 2014

By now, you've probably heard that Firefox Desktop is switching to Yahoo
for the search box by default in the US. This made me remember that we
still don't have Google as an option in Thunderbird. Now, I'm aware that
this was for contractual reasons with Google (see bug 731590), so with
our contract changing, perhaps we can finally add Google as a (probably
non-default) search provider.

Since I'm not on the legal team, I'm not sure what, if anything, is
happening to Yahoo in Thunderbird, or if we're actually able to add
Google to Thunderbird just yet, but I think now's as good a time as any
to discuss it.

If anyone else has insights on this, I'd be happy to hear them. Plenty
of users have been mildly upset that we don't have Google as an option,
so I think adding Google would be a nice thing to do.

- Jim