Quality game plan for the coming release of Thunderbird

Ludovic Hirlimann ludovic at mozilla.com
Fri May 9 11:53:43 UTC 2014

Howdy all,

I'd like to share with you what some of the quality plans are for the
next release of Thunderbird aka, Thunderbird 31.

For 30 we are going to get two betas[0] one is currently being built -
and as soon as it's released I will ask people thru a blog post to
install it and use it until 31 comes out - because it will get updates
and will get you updated with everything. I'm very interested in having
windows users use it with theyr favorite commercial extensions and
repporting to those vendors (AV, fishing, calendaring etc ...) issues
they encounter.

For the first beta I want people to use it and file bugs[3] (again the
bog post will contain a meta bug to link to , and if that last sentence
doesn't make sense let me know I'll explain with screenshots ....).

We'll have a second beta - for which I'd like to get way more formal
testing done using mozilla's moztrap[1] tool. There's a set of tests
written there that covers most of the funtionnality for Thunderbird (it
doesnt cover chat so if some of you want to add chat test let me know
and I'll give you the powers to add new test in to our pools of tests).
To make this work I've always asked people in the past to sign up to
participate - and then I would split the work and send emails reminders
manually to all the testers. I don't have the time to do that this time
- so I'm proposing to host a virtual event using evenbrite[2] (I've used
it in the past and got quite sucesffull with it) - so I can moe easily
communicate with your guys (what do you think about that ?).

For 31 we will also have 2 betas at least depending on what needs fixing.

How can you help ?

  * Participate in testing is easy - just requires time and reading some
    english
  * Translate this and post it to your local mozilla-community
  * Make the beta available on your favorite linux distribution
  * if you are an addon authors now is the time to test and fix your addon.
  * Spread the word

Ludo
ps if you want to help *now* please run the beta today.
[0] http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/all-beta.html
[1] https://moztrap.mozilla.org
[2] http://www.eventbrite.com/
[3] https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Thunderbird