Quality game plan for the coming release of Thunderbird

Wayne Mery (Thunderbird QA) vseerror at Lehigh.EDU
Fri Jun 20 12:24:28 UTC 2014

On 5/9/2014 7:53 AM, Ludovic Hirlimann wrote:
> Howdy all,
>
> I'd like to share with you what some of the quality plans are for the
> next release of Thunderbird aka, Thunderbird 31.
>
> For 30 we are going to get two betas[0] one is currently being built -
> and as soon as it's released I will ask people thru a blog post to
> install it and use it until 31 comes out - because it will get updates
> and will get you updated with everything. I'm very interested in having
> windows users use it with theyr favorite commercial extensions and
> repporting to those vendors (AV, fishing, calendaring etc ...) issues
> they encounter.
>
> For the first beta I want people to use it and file bugs[3] (again the
> bog post will contain a meta bug to link to , and if that last sentence
> doesn't make sense let me know I'll explain with screenshots ....).
>
> We'll have a second beta - for which I'd like to get way more formal
> testing done using mozilla's moztrap[1] tool. There's a set of tests
> written there that covers most of the funtionnality for Thunderbird (it
> doesnt cover chat so if some of you want to add chat test let me know
> and I'll give you the powers to add new test in to our pools of tests).
> To make this work I've always asked people in the past to sign up to
> participate - and then I would split the work and send emails reminders
> manually to all the testers. I don't have the time to do that this time
> - so I'm proposing to host a virtual event using evenbrite[2] (I've used
> it in the past and got quite sucesffull with it) - so I can moe easily
> communicate with your guys (what do you think about that ?).
>
> For 31 we will also have 2 betas at least depending on what needs fixing.
>
> How can you help ?
>
>   * Participate in testing is easy - just requires time and reading some
>     english
>   * Translate this and post it to your local mozilla-community
>   * Make the beta available on your favorite linux distribution
>   * if you are an addon authors now is the time to test and fix your addon.
>   * Spread the word
>
> Ludo
> ps if you want to help *now* please run the beta today.
> [0] http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/all-beta.html
> [1] https://moztrap.mozilla.org
> [2] http://www.eventbrite.com/
> [3] https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Thunderbird
>
> --
> [:Usul] MOC Team at Mozilla
> QA Lead fof Thunderbird
> http://sietch-tabr.tumblr.com/  -http://weusepgp.info/

Results so far http://tinyurl.com/obppn9t don't show anything that would
block wider testing or publicity, or afaict anything that would need to
be rolled into a second beta.

Do we need to wait for second beta to announce formal testing?
And do we have an ETA on second beta?