Marketing Message

Kent James kent at caspia.com
Fri Jul 11 18:44:49 UTC 2014

As part of the overall release effort for Thunderbird 31, it would be
helpful if we had a marketing message. I have a proposal, perhaps we
could discuss the exact wording and details here.

The disastrous announcement of Mozilla's reduced support for Thunderbird
left a general impression that Thunderbird was dead. In fact that is not
true. Though we may wish we did more, in fact Thunderbird has had a lot
of code work done in the last year. Also I believe that our daily usage
is at least staying constant, if not going up.

I know from my ExQuilla work that there are many people out there with
well-known companies who use Thunderbird and rely on it. The market
perception does not match the reality.

So I would like to encourage us, as a community, to agree on this
message, and use whatever channels are available to us to promote it.
Could we bikeshed the actual wording of the message? "Thunderbird is not
dead" is probably not the words we want to use.

To that end, I would like to see a blog posting that collects data on
Thunderbird usage over the last few years to present some facts about
our daily usage. I can get the last few months from crash-stats but I do
not know how to get usage over the last few years. Does anyone have
access to that? Even a few random emails with usage at points in the
past would be helpful.

:rkent