Module owner and peerage refresh?

Kent James kent at caspia.com
Fri Jul 11 17:48:09 UTC 2014

On 7/11/2014 9:59 AM, Mike Conley wrote:
> So how do we feel about refreshing the (module) list, and finding some new owners
> and peers for various things?

The scary thing about being a module owner, and this applies not only to
specialized modules but also to the overall Thunderbird or Mailnews
parent module, is that the work needed is an order of magnitude (or
more) higher than any of us can reasonably take on. I would be very
reluctant to take "ownership" of some of the areas in our code or
project. Yet I would be willing to help out with shared responsibility
in a variety of areas.

What does that look like? A module with no owner but several peers? or a
module with multiple owners?

There is a related issue of, what do we call ourselves? I am attending
the Community Leadeship Summit in Portland next week, and as part of the
registration I had to put a "Title" wrt my Mozilla Thunderbird work. I
finally put "Mailnews Peer" but that is completely meaningless. Mozilla
staff have real titles that help people place them, many volunteers do not.

Some people are "Mozilla Rep". We also have Mozilla people who are
"Early Feedback Community Release Manager" "Community Champion"
"Engineering Community Manager" "student ambassador"  There is no
meaningful term that we can confidently use for people who are working
aspects of the Thunderbird project. Naming ourselves in a way that is
confirmed by the community would be helpful when discussing things with
people who do not know us.

:rkent