UX: Removing thread-pane "snap to last page" behavior

Andrew Sutherland asutherland at asutherland.org
Sun Jan 19 20:57:28 UTC 2014

On 01/18/2014 01:28 AM, Andrew J. Buehler wrote:
> However, given that we've gone something like 4.5 years now with "snap
> to last page" but without implementing this, A: are we likely to
> actually do it? and B: is it really that important?

I think it's pretty definite nothing is going to happen unless you (or
some other brave soul steps up; but let's not count on that!). I just
wanted to provide the context of the original decision, especially now
that I managed to remember it! :)

Another memory that's coming back to me now is that the 'snap' goal in
question I think may also have been a stop-gap brought about by the
limitations of the tree view.  I think the dream goal would be something
like a (transient?) 'position: sticky'  toaster-ish thing in the
direction of the new messages (or a bar?) saying how many new messages
received.  The folder-pane's newness flags are able to achieve a
somewhat comparable result, although it does require either looking at
all the new messages or changing folders to flush the newness bits (if
so configured).

In general I also recall finding the handling of new messages as
somewhat difficult since it's a non-persistent flag list of 'new-to-us'
unread messages and Thunderbird's IMAP implementation isn't really aware
of INTERNALDATE which I think constitutes a better approximation for
newness.

My opinion-wise I think I broadly agree with what you (and Gerv) are
saying.  It's surprising/confusing to the user when scrolling behaviour
is inconsistent.  The 'padding' logic works out okay because its
behaviour is consistent.  The snapping behaviour is a big discontinuity
in that behaviour, noting that at some point even padding effectively
had to stop because the tree-view's mouse scrolling wouldn't let you
scroll beyond the last row although you can programatically do it.
Threaded display is a big complication the original solution and
game-plan did not deal with (well).

Aside: I personally find that when a thread gets more than 10 messages
or so that threaded mode is really only useful for local navigation of
the thread.  Moving to the parent it was replying to, or finding other
direct replies work great.  Well, work great if the mail-to-news gateway
on Mozilla mailing lists isn't involved and destroying the message-id's
and breaking threading.

Andrew