UX: Removing thread-pane "snap to last page" behavior

Andrew Sutherland asutherland at asutherland.org
Fri Jan 17 17:03:19 UTC 2014

For discussion purposes, I think the rationale of the 'snap to the last
page' was that it could be hard for the user to know when there were new
messages when the sort order put new messages at the bottom of the list,
so we would try to snap to the bottom of the list and leave a "lip" that
was an empty row but which a new message would show up in.  Without the
snap, we were worried that the user might not realize new messages were
showing up.

In the comment in the source I unfortunately left a half-finished
sentence (now removed) that I believe meant to say that we wanted to
have this 'snap' be permanent.  So once we snapped, we'd stay snapped to
the bottom until the user scrolled away from it.  This would be much
like at the top of the tree-view; when new messages come in, they come
in at index 0 and the scroll position does not change (I believe), so
you'd see all the new messages come in.  But right now, at the bottom,
no scrolling would occur, they just grow out of view, below the last
visible message.  While the scroll-thumb position might indicate
something, in a folder with many many messages, the difference is
unlikely to be obvious.

Andrew