UX: Removing thread-pane "snap to last page" behavior

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Fri Jan 17 15:51:09 UTC 2014

On 17/01/14 15:23, Andrew J. Buehler wrote:
> When moving among messages using the 'f', 'b', or 'n' shortcuts in any
> part of the thread pane except the "last page" area, Thunderbird scrolls
> only as far as necessary to show the newly selected message (with any
> applicable padding).

This behaviour is actually deeply irritating. I would much prefer it
scrolled so that the newly selected message is at or near the _top_, and
so that message's replies and further top-level messages are visible.
Not being able to see what's coming next is deeply irritating. It's like
driving a car where you can see half a mile in the rear view mirror but
only 20 yards in front of you.

> When the newly selected message is in that "last
> page" area, however - that is, when scrolling to show the bottommost
> message will leave the newly-selected message visible - it scrolls to
> show the bottommost message in the thread pane.

This behaviour, which you call a problem, is indeed inconsistent but is
the only available respite from the above annoyance. It's like a breath
of fresh air when I get near the bottom of a long list of messages and I
can finally see what's ahead!

So please don't fix your bug without also fixing the above.

Gerv