Gmail support

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Thu Feb 20 12:31:42 UTC 2014

On 2014-02-19 7:45 AM, Andrew J. Buehler <wanderer at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On 02/19/2014 12:12 AM, Jim wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 10:28 PM, Ben Bucksch wrote:
>>> What exactly is the problem with Thunderbird and Gmail?

>> Off the top of my head, these are the biggest ones:
>>
>> * No de-duplication of messages that are in multiple folders; this is
>> especially bad for gloda conversations; I think we were working on
>> fixing parts of this, but it's either preffed-off or hasn't landed.

> I hope that any fix for this is planned to be *only* for Gmail accounts
> (or otherwise configurable per-account). I specifically do not want this
> in general; I consider Gmail's "only one copy of any message, ever"
> behavior to be a misfeature.

While I agree, it is only because I don't think  this should be a CLIENT
feature, this should only ever be a SERVER feature.

> This is especially - or, at least, primarily - because last time I
> checked, they don't consider e.g. "the Sent-folder copy of a message I
> sent to a mailing list" and "the copy of the same message which I
> received from the mailing list, which has been modified by the mailing
> list software" to be different messages, even though their contents
> (e.g. list footers and message header information) are different.

I don't see *any* reason to *ever* keep more than one *physical* copy of
any given message on the same mailstore, I absolutely agree with you on
the way GMail treats Sent messages. They are *not*, in fact, the same
message, so should *not* be de-duped like google does now.

But other than that, I really like it's de-duplication feature.

I'd love to see dovecot get something similar, but when I asked about
this, Timo said that it was much more complicated than it apparently
seems to be, but I'm still not sure why.