Google Summer of Code 2014 - Proposal to Improve Composer UI

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Tue Feb 18 15:30:02 UTC 2014

Hi John,

On 2014-02-17 8:57 AM, John Crisp <jcrisp at safeandsoundit.co.uk> wrote:
> My comments were merely based on the fact that if you have limited
> resources then they should be dedicated to the majority. An awful lot of
> time could be wasted on a bunch of features most do not use. A bit of
> research may be necessary to show what features are used. How do you
> know what to develop if you don't know what is really required ?
>
> I suggested that were other things that may be more important.

Please consider that just because you consider one thing more or less
relevant than someone else really has no bearing on its importance to
the overall userbase.

Whether or not a large percentage of the more technically inclined - ie,
*software developers* - don't like/use html email is irrelevant to the
question of what is relevant to the larger percentage of Thunderbird
users as a whole.

The fact is, 99.9% of average users - ie, not just limited to business
users - expect to be able to use html email. I'm talking about those who
may be coming from Outlook Express, Windows Live Mail, etc, etc...

The reality is, Thunderbirds broken html email composer is extremely
frustrating at times - and can and has become a deal breaker for people
I know and turned on to Thunderbird.

Charles