Google Summer of Code 2014 - Proposal to Improve Composer UI

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Sat Feb 15 16:17:49 UTC 2014

On 2014-02-15 5:48 AM, Axel Grude (Axel) <axel.grude at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 15/02/2014 00:55, John Crisp wrote:
>> Even if they do all that formatting, can the receiver actually see it ?
>> Ironically at my place we reject most html email anyway...... most of it
>> is spam. If I had my way I would ban the lot !

> Which in my eyes immediately disqualifies you from the discussion of
> html editors. You should be honest and vote for abolishing the html
> portion of Thunderbird altogether and not vote for "yet another online
> html editor clone" just to keep html as inaccessible as possible. Do you
> see my problem with this argumentation?

+100

While I don't particularly like html email myself, it is, like it or
not, a mandatory requirement in the corporate world, and Thunderbird's
current broken html support is a major factor in current discussion in
my company about replacing Thunderbird with Outlook.

What I would like to see is a VERY simple, total replacement for the
HTML editor/composer, that provides the bare minimum, but cleanly/sanely
implemented HTML features (font styles), easily implemented by the user
via the toolbar.

Once the editor is replaced, then new/additional features can be
implemented on an ongoing basis.