Google Summer of Code 2014 - Proposal to Improve Composer UI

Axel Grude (Axel) axel.grude at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 21:03:34 UTC 2014

> Gets my vote (or ckeditor ?) - can't stand the ribbon mess.
Maybe you should have hung in there... Messy or not people HTML mail users want an
intuitive interface where they can easily use and define styles without having to know
CSS. And you can only do this if you offer an interface that defines styles and is
easily extendable. It is a typical thing to say "I do not like X" and "I like the look
of that, because I know it" without looking at the actual requirements people have.

Replacing one interface with another which gives you the same basic functionality of
inserting predefined tags was not what I was proposing. I am proposing full access to
the powers that CSS gives and a very simple interface to redefine the css attributes
without prior knowledge of CSS or HTML.

In the corporate sector people take this pretty much for granted. Click a style,
define it, use it everywhere. Whether you call it Ribbon or have separate toolbars /
areas / for the various styles is just a design detail, and can be maybe solved in a
better way. however what we have now on the formatting bar is not good enough. And the
markup it creates is not up to date, we do not want to create endless cascades of

In its most minimal form imagine you can define <h1> with a default look (could be
based on the tag or on a class) and you are able to reuse that on any email you write.
The interface just has to be easy to use and enticing enough so people start using it
and panels with preview styles are the most intuitive way to offer this to the users.