Google Summer of Code 2014 - Proposal to Improve Composer UI

Wayne Mery (Thunderbird QA) vseerror at Lehigh.EDU
Mon Feb 10 13:10:16 UTC 2014

On 2/9/2014 11:53 PM, Jim wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 9, 2014 at 3:40 PM, neandr at gmx.de <mailto:neandr at gmx.de>
> <neandr at gmx.de <mailto:neandr at gmx.de>> wrote:
>
>     So you just tell us .. don't touch it at the moment. Not to enhance
>     the current composer but also not bringing in a new/alternative compose.
>     Is it also .. let's see for GSoC 2015?
>

> I don't think it's so much that you shouldn't touch it; I'm sure
> jcranmer wouldn't mind having some help on compose refactoring. But I
> also don't think this is the sort of thing that we should subject GSoC
> contributors to, even if it weren't for jcranmer working on cleaning up
> compose. Part of the goal with GSoC projects should be in coming up with
> interesting things to do that don't assume intimate knowledge of a
> codebase. I think something like improving IMAP, gloda,

Sampling of ideas in those areas (many are requested in support forums)

- global search support exact matching (disabling stemming). ex:
Searching for 'wedding' finds 'weds' - Bug 752844
- gloda tokenizer collection:
   ** do a better job of indexing numbers Bug 544580
   ** avoid generating clauses that the tokenizer will eat Bug 549594
   ** fulltext search does not match partial terms (by default) Bug 523183

- several in the area of improving facet, such as
   ** offer choice between logical operators Bug 556213
   ** Refining search terms above faceted search results should not open
a new tab Bug 716058
   ** Make the gloda facet view beautiful Bug 929845

- imap
   ** add support of RFC 5255 - IMAP Internationalization Bug 439046
   ** Add support for IMAP NOTIFY extension rfc rfc5465 Bug 479133