Fwd: New QE-Verify Flag in Bugzilla

Wayne Mery (Thunderbird QA) vseerror at Lehigh.EDU
Fri Aug 15 03:45:01 UTC 2014

I followed some of the early discussion in the newsgroup and then tuned
out. I've now skimmed much of it.  My first reaction is we lack the
manpower to do the type of "full" quality process done by Firefox. But
I'm not sure that's what you are suggesting.

My second reaction is, I'm all for quality, but the question is how much
effort do we want to put into an overall quality process and to what
extent the product quality will be improved, vs other areas that need
better or continued attention. (opportunity cost)  And, can that effort
be sustained.

That said, there are probably areas or types of bugs we can target to
get great return on minimal effort.  One might target areas where we
have been most burned in the past. Possible examples: (core) editor,
database, filters, compose, (core?) security. Perhaps also imap.

To get a feel for our bigger issues, for purely illustrative purposes
and not as an especially useful list, I offer via query [1] of all
confirmed or fixed gus filed since 2010-01-01 (just after the 3.0
release), with regression keyword (just to reduce the number of bugs by
some order of magnitude), severity of major and critical (again to
reduce the bug count for this illustration), excluding build bugs
(because they don't affect users), excluding all imap crashes (because
most I suspect are not regressions per-se but baggage bugs), and
excluding all non-topcrash crashes.  I suggest sorting the list by the
component column.

[1] 213 bugs -
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?v4=imap&n2=1&n8=1&keywords=regression&keywords_type=allwords&f1=component&o3=substring&o7=substring&list_id=11001164&bug_severity=blocker&bug_severity=critical&bug_severity=major&f8=keywords&v3=crash&o1=nowordssubstr&resolution=---&resolution=FIXED&classification=Client%20Software&classification=Components&v7=crash&f9=CP&f4=component&chfieldto=Now&chfield=[Bug%20creation]&query_format=advanced&chfieldfrom=2010-01-01&f3=keywords&f2=OP&o4=substring&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=VERIFIED&bug_status=CLOSED&f5=CP&v8=topcrash&v1=build&f6=OP&n6=1&product=MailNews%20Core&product=Thunderbird&f7=keywords&o8=substring