c-c external tests (like External dependent tests in gecko and gaia)

Jim Porter squibblyflabbetydoo at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 21:15:57 UTC 2014

On 08/13/2014 03:00 PM, Andrew Sutherland wrote:
> There have been some hassles related to logistical issues of running a
> bunch of test devices against real-world accounts and all the connection
> limit/suspicious activity things that can happen.  Also, ActiveSync does
> not handle users apparently using a brand new phone/device-id tens of
> times a day (https://bugzil.la/1028192).

This x1000. It's been our experience in Gaia-land that testing against
real-world server just plain doesn't scale as more
developers/testers/builds are added to the project. It works great if
you're the only one working on something, but once a project grows in
size, you start running into abuse filters on the servers.

This isn't a problem if *we* control the servers, but then it's not
nearly so useful. We'd be able to test against Dovecot, but not, say,
Gmail. I rather doubt that the major webmail providers care enough about
Thunderbird to turn off the abuse filters on our test accounts,
especially when you'd probably need a separate test account for every
person/machine that could conceivably be running tests at the same time.

- Jim