c-c external tests (like External dependent tests in gecko and gaia)

Andrew Sutherland asutherland at asutherland.org
Wed Aug 13 20:17:41 UTC 2014

On 08/13/2014 04:09 PM, Joshua Cranmer 🐧 wrote:
> If Mozilla ran some servers on its networks for our uses (e.g., an
> Exchange server, Dovecot, Cyrus, etc.), and we could give out access
> to these servers for tests and contributors, that would help much of
> the problem. I recall Gaia had plans to switch to real servers for
> mail testing; CC'ing asuth for more information about what Gaia's
> plans were here.

It turns out that some of the real-world situations are a hassle to
setup and administer.  Like Exchange.  So WebQA pays for some hosted
Exchange accounts so we can get our Exchange realism.

For the Gaia email app itself, our next set of plans for improving test
realism is to use docker to spin up dovecot/cyrus/(other open source
mail servers) and test against them.  However, the lack of realism
hasn't been a problem as of yet.  When we implement CONDSTORE/QRESYNC
support and/or use of NOTIFY, we may put some effort in at that time
since it arguably will become quite relevant at that point.

Andrew