p2p email: Virtual Email Institutions for Thunderbird

Patrick Cloke clokep at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 19:52:14 UTC 2014

I frankly haven't been following this too closely, but I remember someone
coming into #instantbird and bugging us about Goldbug. (Which I thought was
a chat protocol, not email?) I'll reply to the bits dealing with chat below.

On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 3:37 PM, Joshua Cranmer <pidgeot18 at gmail.com> wrote:

> (C1) COMMUNITY APPROACH: T-Bird once was declared as optional and dead
>> and lost the established developers. The new strategy was to make it
>> more convenient, maybe add chat to is, but neither the messaging
>> plugin nor the calendar plugin has been added as default.
>>

> Actually, chat is built into Thunderbird, and we have at times discussed
> folding Lightning directly into Thunderbird. IIRC, the biggest stumbling
> block to integrating Lightning was that the Lightning developers didn't
> feel they had sufficient maintainers. Support for libpurple in chat is not
> included in Thunderbird, I think, largely because of licensing issues
> (libpurple is GPL).

As Joshua said, instant messaging has been built into Thunderbird
since...TB 14 or 17? It shares code with Instantbird to implement a bunch
of protocols: IRC, XMPP (including GTalk and Facebook Chat), Twitter, and
Yahoo (although that's disabled off currently). It can also use libpurple,
but that's not included by default because it is GPL. (It IS included with
Instantbird by default.) All of the glue code is MPL licensed.

> (C3) FUTURE PERSPECTIVES BASED ON NEEDS OF GENERATION Y: Further
> development: Next to the EMAIL-XUL gui, which would be the first step,
> we could think to add as well presence and Instant Chat to the Email
> Client.

We already have chat and I think presence information in Thunderbird.

Presence is available in the TB address book in certain situations but I
don't fully remember how IM buddies are matched with address book cards. It
is (of course) available on the chat page. You can't really have instant
messaging without presence.

--Patrick