Google and OAuth 2.0

Kent James kent at caspia.com
Fri Apr 25 16:47:15 UTC 2014

On 4/25/2014 9:35 AM, Joshua Cranmer 🐧 wrote:
> Ugh. We've WONTFIX'd adding OAuth 2.0 support to IMAP in the past
In some alternate universe from the one we seem to live in (where we
actually have some resources), Thunderbird would be a universal platform
for supporting all sources of streaming data, which would include both
public-spec IMAP was well as "Gmail". That doesn't mean that we have to
like each separate approach (as long as it is not clearly A Bad Thing).

But Gmail is so important that I don't think we have much choice other
than to support access through whatever access mechanism they throw at
us. It would be good to keep it separate though from public-spec IMAP so
that we are not encouraging proliferation of stuff that we don't believe in.

On OAuth itself I don't know enough to have an opinion whether it is
good or bad.

:rkent