the People tab of the certificate manager

Brian Smith brian at briansmith.org
Mon Sep 23 22:58:52 UTC 2013

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 3:31 PM, David Keeler <dkeeler at mozilla.com> wrote:

> [firefox.dev cc'd - please follow-up to tb.planning because this affects
> Thunderbird more than Firefox]
>
> As discussed in bugs 825583 and 910986, the "Edit Trust" buttons/dialogs
> in the certificate manager don't work properly. The solution for the
> Server tab was to remove the button entirely as it served no purpose.
> The question is, can we do the same with the People tab?
>
> More generally, what is the People tab useful for? I've never seen any
> entries in it in Firefox. In Thunderbird, my profile has a number of
> entries, but I've never needed to do anything with them. Do we even need
> the People tab?
>
> Any input would be appreciated :)

The people tab is where we list the S/MIME certificates of other people you
have exchanged email with. It is probably useful to some Thunderbird S/MIME
users but AFAICT it is not useful for Firefox. We should just remove the
people tab from Firefox. Thunderbird can add it back in comm-central.

Cheers,
Brian
<https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/firefox-dev>--
Mozilla Networking/Crypto/Security (Necko/NSS/PSM)