What to do about CONDSTORE for GMail for TB 24?

Andrew Sutherland asutherland at asutherland.org
Tue Sep 3 20:45:23 UTC 2013

On 09/03/2013 04:27 PM, Jb Piacentino wrote:
> Thanks Mike. So if I summarize we have two alternatives:
> 1 - leaving the TB code as is and running the unevaluated risk of
> users not seeing their GMail messages in a timely manner
> 2 - flipping this pref (disabling CONDSTORE) with the net effect of
> not leveraging GMail optimization (and other email servers).
> If it is as simple as described, and assuming identifying, creating
> and pushing a patch in the next 2 weeks is something we can't do (who
> can do it?), it seems to me that option 2 is safer and has lesser impact.

Disabling CONDSTORE for all IMAP servers is a pretty dramatic change.
As I noted in an earlier related message, Thunderbird has been using
CONDSTORE on other servers that support it since Thunderbird 3.0.
Turning it off just for gmail by default sounds reasonable.  There's
already special gmail server logic, so it shouldn't be super-dramatic to
accomplish.

As for the 2-week thing, it's not like it's a rocket launch window and
the planets won't be aligned again for another year.  It seems like some
discretion as to when to release is possible, although it's probably a
hassle and slippage has to be bounded due to security release concerns.

Andrew