What to do about CONDSTORE for GMail for TB 24?

Jb Piacentino jb at mozilla.com
Tue Sep 3 20:27:01 UTC 2013

Thanks Mike. So if I summarize we have two alternatives:
1 - leaving the TB code as is and running the unevaluated risk of users
not seeing their GMail messages in a timely manner
2 - flipping this pref (disabling CONDSTORE) with the net effect of not
leveraging GMail optimization (and other email servers).
If it is as simple as described, and assuming identifying, creating and
pushing a patch in the next 2 weeks is something we can't do (who can do
it?), it seems to me that option 2 is safer and has lesser impact.

My 2c...

Jb

On 03/09/13 22:03, Mike Conley wrote:
> If I'm understanding correctly, it'll be a loss in IMAP efficiency -
> there'll be more network activity with CONDSTORE disabled.
>
> However, this amount of network activity will likely be equivalent to
> the amount used before GMail supported CONDSTORE.
>
> -Mike
>
> On 03/09/2013 4:02 PM, Jb Piacentino wrote:
>> Mike & all,
>>
>> What is the expected impact of disabling CONDSTORE or having TB not
>> believing GMail? Performance? Data loss?...
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jb
>>
>> On Tue Sep  3 21:29:30 2013, Mike Conley wrote:
>>> Hey tb-planning,
>>>
>>> So during our bi-weekly Thunderbird meeting today, the issue of
>>> CONDSTORE (which was brought up in a separate thread on tb-planning,
>>> but I'm splitting out to primarily discuss what to do about the issue
>>> for TB 24) was brought up.
>>>
>>> Here's what we know:
>>>
>>> 1) GMail has recently switched on support for CONDSTORE, which allows
>>> for more efficient IMAP queries.
>>> 2) We've had reports of buggy behaviour with GMail - here on
>>> tb-planning, as well as in Bugzilla[1]. Specifically, people have been
>>> reporting that Thunderbird stops retrieving their GMail mail (or at
>>> the very least, doesn't get it immediately). Wayne and Roland are
>>> still getting a handle on any murmurs in the forums and
>>> GetSatisfaction.
>>> 3) The problems being experienced with CONDSTORE are not well