What to do about CONDSTORE for GMail for TB 24?

Mike Conley mconley at mozilla.com
Tue Sep 3 19:29:30 UTC 2013

Hey tb-planning,

So during our bi-weekly Thunderbird meeting today, the issue of CONDSTORE (which was brought up in a separate thread on tb-planning, but I'm splitting out to primarily discuss what to do about the issue for TB 24) was brought up.

Here's what we know:

1) GMail has recently switched on support for CONDSTORE, which allows for more efficient IMAP queries.
2) We've had reports of buggy behaviour with GMail - here on tb-planning, as well as in Bugzilla[1]. Specifically, people have been reporting that Thunderbird stops retrieving their GMail mail (or at the very least, doesn't get it immediately). Wayne and Roland are still getting a handle on any murmurs in the forums and GetSatisfaction.
3) The problems being experienced with CONDSTORE are not well understood.

So it's unclear how big of an issue this is - but in the worst case-scenario, a growing number of users may find that Thunderbird is not getting their GMail mail.

With 2 weeks left to go until a major release, should we be using that as an opportunity to pack a fix / workaround into 24?

There is a hidden pref that, if flipped, disables Thunderbird's CONDSTORE support. Irving also mentioned that we could also instruct TB to "not believe" GMail when it says it supports CONDSTORE.

It's hard to make a call here because, as far as I can see, our data on this problem is really lacking.

What should we do? Anything?

-Mike

[1]: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?f1=OP&o3=anywordssubstr&short_desc=gmail%20condstor&classification=Client%20Software&classification=Components&o2=anywordssubstr&f4=CP&chfieldto=Now&query_format=advanced&j1=OR&f3=keywords&chfieldfrom=2013-07-20&f2=short_desc&short_desc_type=anywordssubstr&product=MailNews%20Core&product=Thunderbird&list_id=7809791