Fwd: Re: autoconfig/ISPDB should be an official module and related Q's

Ludovic Hirlimann lhirlimann at mozilla.com
Tue Sep 3 14:53:01 UTC 2013

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: autoconfig/ISPDB should be an official module and related Q's
Date: 	Tue, 3 Sep 2013 07:51:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: 	Philippe Chiasson <pchiasson at mozilla.com>
To: 	Ludovic Hirlimann <lhirlimann at mozilla.com>

--
Philippe M. Chiasson
<gozer at ectoplasm.org <mailto:gozer at ectoplasm.org>>

On 2013-09-02, at 5:28 AM, Ludovic Hirlimann <lhirlimann at mozilla.com
<mailto:lhirlimann at mozilla.com>> wrote:

> Can you reply for the propagation ?

Yes, I've been steadily reviewing these. Not entirely sure why I ended
up doing it, however.
> There also seem to be some one-off reviewers that seem like it was t
> indicating the owner of the service or the supplier of the config or a
> tester of the config.
>

> A few related questions, some of which may be answered by wiki pages or
> other existing docs that I was unable to find:
>
> - Is
> http://svn.mozilla.org/mozillamessaging.com/sites/ispdb.mozillamessaging.com/trunk/
> still the right repo?  The last commit appears to have been made Sep 6,
> 2012.
That's the web app, now defunct.
The actual configuration is hosted under autoconfig.momo.com
<http://autoconfig.momo.com> under the same svn repo

> - How does the ISPDB get propagated into production?
Cron job pushes trunk to production on a schedule (15 minute intervals I
believe)
> - What team within the Mozilla IT organization is responsible for it
> staying up?
Falls under webops's responsibility now.
>   Would it make sense to transfer responsibility under
> whoever runs the Firefox OS services?  Especially because Firefox OS
> devices get used around the world, my main concern would be making sure
> that we have the strongest uptime guarantee possible / the biggest pool
> of people on pager duty around the clock.
A possibility. And the site itself is just a collection of generated
static XML files, so it's very simple.
>  I'm not aware of any
> historical problems, and maybe there is already one global pool.  Either
> way, it would be great to get the autoconfig/ISPDB stuff listed on
> http://status.mozilla.com/ or what not.
Good idea
> - The attack tree for mobile Firefox OS devices that are using
> potentially suspect wi-fi and/or cellular data where it's feasible for
> attackers to set up fake cell towers is different than for Thunderbird.
> Thunderbird assumes a more trustworthy level of network connection.
> Since wide-spread DNSSEC support is unlikely in the immediate future, I
> could see us needing to re-visit how autoconfig is implemented for
> Firefox OS's e-mail client.  Part of the solution might be to use the
> autoconfig server as something resembling a second, more trusted level
> of information.  If your device's local network and the SSL-secured
> response from the autoconfig server agreed on the insecure DNS/HTTP
> lookups, that's reassuring data.
>
> We would not want to use the mozilla server as the sole source of truth
> since creating a single point of attack is a bad idea.  And for
> simplicity and security audit purposes I would expect us to have the
> server still be based on a simple svn/hg/git checkout of static data so
> there's no dynamic app that could have security holes.
And that's how it's running right now.
>  If there is
> continued interest in still supporting self-signed certificates, it
> could also make sense for the ISPDB entries to indicate that self-signed
> certificate is known to be used and to include the exact key/fingerprint.
A good idea to extend the ispdb API